A Walk At Burnham Beeches

Today was definitely one that called for a long walk and whilst I don’t have a dog or any small children readily available for company I do have a lycra clad man with a brand new off road bike that he was extremely keen to take out for a blast.

Burnham Beeches, five hundred plus acres of ancient woodland in Buckinghamshire, looks spectacular at this time of the year on the cusps between autumn and winter when the very low sun sets the fading trees alight.

It’s a blissfully tranquil place, the sound of falling leaves, almost like rain and the odd snippet of conversation drifting through the trees, house prices, the parlous state of the BBC and one chap, on a hiding to nothing I suspect, trying to convince his partner that a black leather sofa would be just the right thing to match the television cabinet.

Just enough of a murmur in the air to let you know that you’re not completely alone.

Finished off a couple of hours later with hot chocolate and a bacon sandwich.  A perfect day.

If you’d like to visit all the information is here and cycling fact sheet here.

13 Responses to “A Walk At Burnham Beeches”

1. David Ford November 11, 2012 @ 4:26 pm (#)

We used to go to Burnham Beeches a lot many years ago (PS the bottom photo an ideal candidate for UK Veg Gardeners photo comp)

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — November 11th, 2012 @ 4:29 pm

David I took so many pictures and they were mostly disappointing. I just don’t seem to have the eye or the patience.

2. Margaret (@maogden) November 11, 2012 @ 7:48 pm (#)

What a beautiful place. The autumn colours are amazing.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — November 12th, 2012 @ 11:28 pm

It’s stunning Margaret. A really lovely day out. Keen now to see it during the other seasons.

3. Laila Noort (@sowandso) November 14, 2012 @ 2:01 pm (#)

It is lovely to have the opportunity to enjoy the autumn colours, looks like you were just in time. I very much like the last photo!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — November 14th, 2012 @ 3:16 pm

Hi Laila. We went to the same woods at the end of September and everything was still very green. This seems to be the perfect time.

4. Southbourne Gardens November 15, 2012 @ 10:05 am (#)

Thank you Val. Very much appreciated.

5. outofmyshed November 23, 2012 @ 2:37 pm (#)

No kids or dog either, and I can’t see my husband donning lycra, but woods look stunning and walk/ride sounds splendid (as does bacon sandwich and hot chocolate).

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — November 23rd, 2012 @ 2:46 pm

They’re beautiful Naomi, well worth a trip.

6. Mark Willis November 23, 2012 @ 5:53 pm (#)

Beautifully atmospheric photos of a lovely place! Like you, I tend to take lots of photos, and keep only the best ones. So now I know who “Southbourne Gardens” is, on UKVG! 🙂

7. Michael Mills July 26, 2015 @ 4:25 pm (#)

Hi Victoria – I am involved in organising the annual Burnham Beeches Run held at the end of October and came across your fantastic photos of the Beeches on your website. I would like to use them on our website http://www.burnhambeechesrun.co.uk as they are some of the best I’ve come across. I’ve already included them on the home page – but can easliy remove them if you are not happy.

as you can see on the site we have a 5k and 10k run and also welcome fun runners and walkers (sorry – no dogs or bikers!) ad I can offer you free entry if you are interested. Also when we have our t-shirts printed (early October) I’d be happy to send you a couple. i look forward to hearing from you. Michael

8. Claire McCorquodale October 6, 2016 @ 12:49 pm (#)

Hi Victoria Some lovely pics. I am advertising a workshop at Burnham Beeches and wondered if I might use one of your photos to promote it on Facebook ?
    I would of course credit you for the pic, Thanks Claire

• Victoria Wildman replied: — October 8th, 2016 @ 2:04 pm

Hi Claire, yes that’s fine.