Homebase ‘You Cannot Be Serious’

Forgive the title but it is Wimbledon and I just love, love, love John McEnroe*.  Anyway, yesterday I had to go to the tip to empty some sacks of garden waste from the plot.  It just happens to be next to our local Homebase and on a whim, given it was raining and I feared I might not get my plant fix for the day, I decided to go and take a look.

Before you look at the pictures below it is worth noting that the strap line on the store front is ‘For Your Home & Garden’.

Now in general I want to be positive in these posts and yes there were some plants that were in reasonably good condition.

But why would you want to buy them given it is not at all clear that they have been well cared for and when you bear in mind that the prices are in the main no less expensive than your local garden centre* or nursery.  Also, what a waste.

I’m sure their response would be to say it was Monday morning and they had had a busy weekend etc. etc. But if  you’re open for business then you really do need to be properly open for business and having watched a customer walk around struggling to find something to buy, I would say that Homebase need to shape up in a big way if they want to be taken seriously.

*Yes, that much.

*I have also seen terrible examples of plant care in garden centres but there are also some outstanding ones.

7 Responses to “Homebase ‘You Cannot Be Serious’”

1. David Ford July 3, 2012 @ 1:25 pm (#)

I think the problem is nobody can be bothered to water the plants it`s a similar story with other supermarket type outlets

• victoriawildman replied: — July 4th, 2012 @ 7:56 am

Not bothered or not trained, either way it’s such a shame. This almost feels like a disposable part of the inventory.

2. Flighty July 4, 2012 @ 7:47 am (#)

Sadly it’s an all too familiar sight as I well know as I visit there occasionally. Everything seems to be based on low prices rather than realistic value for money. Places like that could be selling anything and many staff simply have no interest, or knowledge, in the products. xx

• victoriawildman replied: — July 4th, 2012 @ 7:54 am

Some of the ‘multi buys’ were well priced but otherwise no less expensive than Ayletts or Carpenters. I do wonder why they don’t employ people in that part of the store who have some interest and/or knowledge. A big miss really.

3. Gary Doherty July 4, 2012 @ 8:25 am (#)

Hi Victoria, I’ve noticed the same problem at B&Q ,sometimes they put neglected plants on a special ‘half price’ rack, I’ve bought some in the past but usually the stress the plant has suffered is to much to revive it t

• victoriawildman replied: — July 4th, 2012 @ 8:33 am

Interesting to see the comment on my twitter feed from @EmmmaB re B&Q. Really highlights the interest/training issue. In the name of balance I went back to Homebase yesterday to have another look. Lots of half price at the entrance to the store (purple petunia hanging baskets) but just dumped on a rack. Tomato plants also now half price but so leggy.

4. victoriawildman July 4, 2012 @ 8:24 pm (#)

Thank you for your comment. The trouble is I’m not sure that Homebase as a business believe it is a problem.