Successional Sowing: A Date In The Diary

So this is typically what we do when it comes to sowing seeds:

A massive bout of enthusiasm in March and April.

Nurture and pot on through May.

Plant out beginning of June.

Stand back, admire our work and feel smug.

Do no further sowing and then wonder why there are thirty lettuces to eat in one week and no more for the rest of the season.

Reading another blog last week lamenting the loss of some salad crops it occurred to me that perhaps we are not alone in this cycle of events.

So in a bid to be a bit more organised I am highlighting Mondays in my diary as ‘successional sowing day’.

Today was butterhead lettuce Dynamite from Thompson and Morgan’s Duchy Organic range and beetroot Boltardy from Suttons Seeds.

Let me know in the comments what you are planning to sow this month.

Technical stuff about successional sowing here.

8 Responses to “Successional Sowing: A Date In The Diary”

1. alderandash June 18, 2012 @ 6:09 pm (#)

Great idea, putting it in the diary. I actually managed a bit of successional sowing last year – but I’m behind with everything this year, due to the weather, so I haven’t even managed ‘first time round’ sowings for some things, like courgettes! I’m hoping it’s not too late… Last year I sowed beans several times, and still had some to pick well into the Autumn – tho they were getting a bit sad-looking by the end!

2. carminered darter June 18, 2012 @ 6:56 pm (#)

Like your gloves : )

• victoriawildman replied: — June 18th, 2012 @ 7:08 pm

Thank you. They’re by Briers, about £1.75 a pair from a local garden centre.

• carminered darter replied: — June 18th, 2012 @ 8:55 pm

Wow, that’s a really good price. Happy gardening!

3. Flighty June 19, 2012 @ 4:57 pm (#)

I’ve done plenty of successional sowing this year but mainly as seeds haven’t germinated. So next year…! xx

• victoriawildman replied: — June 20th, 2012 @ 7:49 am

We have been pretty lucky this year but didn’t do much direct sowing other than in the grow bags. Disheartening though when they don’t germinate.

4. Laila June 20, 2012 @ 6:59 am (#)

I have had a second sowing of courgette, french beans and pumpkins but due to a slug fest in the garden I am planning on sowing a LOT more. (War to the slugs!!)

• victoriawildman replied: — June 20th, 2012 @ 7:52 am

We’ve been hit by slugs in the last couple of weeks. I’m using pellets and trying coffee grounds to keep them away. Would love to grow pumpkins but don’t have enough space. Do you have an allotment?