Bird Watching

Aside from watching the plot thrive over the last month, the most joyous thing has been the sound of bird song, especially the robins.  This season I think we have two families in residence, nesting in the undergrowth at the back of the plot next to us.  As soon as we arrive they appear, impatient for us to start turning over the earth.

In lean times we have supplemented their fresh food with dried but undoubtedly it is the newly dug up worms that they prefer.

The keeness of their eyesight and the precision when they swoop to kill is nothing short of awesome and if I am there on my own they will come surprisingly close to where I am working.

It is no surprise that the RSPB say they are our favourite birds in the UK and the pictures here really don’t do them justice (play spot the robin in the one above) but of course as soon as they know you are aware of them and especially if your carrying a camera they disappear straight back to their nests.

If you would like more about robins the information is here.

6 Responses to “Bird Watching”

1. Flighty May 10, 2012 @ 2:26 pm (#)

An enjoyable post and good photos, although I can’t find the robin in the second picture!
    I always find it a real pleasure to see, and hear, the resident robins at the allotments especially when they come to say hello when I’m plotting. I have got some good photos of them but they’re few in number considering just how many I’ve taken.
    They’re my favourites and really are the gardener’s friend. xx

2. Flighty May 10, 2012 @ 2:26 pm (#)

They’re my favourites and really are the gardener’s friend. xx

3. Flighty May 10, 2012 @ 2:26 pm (#)

They’re my favourites and really are the gardener’s friend. xx

4. Flighty May 10, 2012 @ 8:14 pm (#)

Almost the centre of the picture, and has a white flash on him?

5. Flighty May 10, 2012 @ 8:14 pm (#)

Almost the centre of the picture, and has a white flash on him?

6. Flighty May 10, 2012 @ 8:14 pm (#)

Almost the centre of the picture, and has a white flash on him?